Sirocco

Sirocco

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Brewerton, NY at Ess-Kay boatyard

I (Annick) just returned from Rochester yesterday Monday morning 5/21. I stayed at Cedric's and Lizzie's new house in Brighton, a well established neighborhood of Rochester with quaint, tree-lined streets. Very pleasant; convenient to a lot of businesses and shops. We are very happy for them and their choice. The back yard is small, yet perfect for the size of the house and for them to learn what it takes to keep it up. I also got to see 5 sets of old friends, which is always fun.

While I was away, Ess-Kay (the boatyard we are at) took the old generator out of Sirocco and moved the new one on the aft deck. To move the generators out of/in the boat, we had to be on dry-dock. Great planning to clean and wax the hull, and to do the bottom paint touch up. A bit difficult to live on-board as we cannot use the water to shower or do dishes. The marina's facilities are very close-by. So we decided to tough it up and not go to a motel.

I was back at the boat less than 45 minutes Monday morning before Michael and I got started on the hull. A bit of a daunting task for a 51 ft (LOA) boat. But with 2 ladders, 4 elbows and grease, and lots of rags, huffs and puffs and determination, we managed to get the entire hull cleaned and waxed in one day (about 8 hours). Had you told me we had one day to do this, I would have laughed. We crawled to the shower, headed out to eat, and crashed: our lower backs were killing us. This morning, it is our arms and shoulders...

We got to see a 90 ft 1972 Burger docked behind us last night. She left this morning. Captained by a professional, it is doing the loop for the ...13th time! So we may see GO FOURTH on the Georgian Bay and the North Channel later this summer. We met 2 other boats headed the same way we are.

Today  the new generator was moved from the aft deck down to the bilge. Interesting task with metal rollers and 3 strong men. They got it done in just a few minutes without any tears or scratches (that I know of) to our stairs or wood cabinets. Hoses, fuel and electrical connections are being worked on today and tomorrow. I haven't heard any swearing down below, so I assume everything is progressing without issues.

Also, today was bottom painting for Michael and I. Touch up only, but far too many spots. I got to do the sanding and he gets to put the paint on: how did I agree to this? He is the Captain...but I thought I was the Admiral. Age makes a difference too, apparently. Sanding this boat was not a walk in the park. I swear we have a 90 ft boat disguised to look like a 45 footer. As I was moving from front to back, there seems to be always more boat to sand. I wonder what my body is going to tell me tomorrow. Michael is painting as I type this note and rest, and Sirocco is starting to look great.

Weather has been rather nice, albeit for a few cold days last week. And little to NO HUMIDITY here, YEH!   

Not clear we'll be able to leave on Friday to start our journey to Canada. This will be pushing it as we still have to provision, including vacuum-seal meat and freeze it, get a hair cut, do laundry, put the car in storage, and test the generator on the nearby lake before leaving Ess-Kay for good. The first day of our journey will take us from here (Brewerton) to Oswego (on Lake Ontario), where we will be positioned to catch a calm day for a lake Ontario crossing.

Until next time,
Annick & Michael Smart aboard Sirocco.

No comments:

Post a Comment